Hi! I'm Dane Carlson, and welcome to the Business Opportunities Weblog. I've been publishing this website, by myself, and sometimes with the help of others for over twelve years now. You'll notice two things about this site right away:
Entrepreneur magazine suggests that spotting trends is a path to business success. Part of the article outlines mogul Donald Trump’s trend spotting tips. Trump, who has built a business on trends (which partly explains his involvement in The Apprentice reality TV trend), offers these tips for entrepreneurs eager to capitalize on what’s next:
- Do Your Research: read magazines and study pop culture for signs of what’s next.
- Extend a Trend: try a variation on an existing trend.
- Be a Contrarian: sometimes it pays to go against the trend, because trends change over time.
- Be Flexible: you never know when a trend is about to stop, and you need to be able to stop manufacturing production when the trend stops.
- Be First: if you’re too cautious, you may be too late.
- Follow Your Gut: follow your instinct, even if friends and family don’t understand your vision.
The Entrepreneur article has couple of interesting stories about entrpreneurs that saw a trend and siezed the day, including one about Raising A Racquet, a company that makes atheletic maternity clothes.