Naming a business is a lot like laying the cornerstone of a building. Once it’s in place, the entire foundation and structure is aligned to that original stone. If it’s off, even just a bit, the rest of the building is off, and the misalignment becomes amplified… To help you get off to a good start, read on to discover the top 8 mistakes I’ve found people make when it comes to choosing a name for their business:
- Getting the “committeeâ€? involved in your decision.
- Employing the “train wreckâ€? method of creating a name.
- Using words so plain they’ll never stand out in a crowd.
- Taking the atlas approach and using a map to name your company.
- Turning your name into a clichÃ©.
- Making your business name so obscure, customers will never know what it means.
- Taking the Campbell’s soup approach to selecting a name.
- Choosing the wrong name and then refusing to change it.
via David Lorenzo.