International borders used to be the biggest barrier to entry for Americans interested in starting a business overseas. But today, as more nations ease trade regulations and restrictions on foreign investment, borders are more like invitations.
Business 2.0 Magazine enlisted a team of top reporters to find out what, and where, the most intriguing new business opportunities are today. They returned with a dozen stories that describe lucrative ventures in unlikely places.
1. Build cheap Wi-Fi networks for Brazilian resorts.
2. Become a biodiesel producer in Argentina.
3. Create an ad network for India’s mobile content developers.
4. Launch an exclusive social network for Russian millionaires.
5. Open an American-style restaurant in one of China’s fast-growing cities.
6. Remodel homes for China’s burgeoning middle class.
7. Flip mining claims in Bolivia.
8. Export the planet’s next great wines from Greece.
9. Import fine wines to upscale restaurants in India.
10. Export gourmet coffee from Rwanda.
11. Become a social entrepreneur in South Africa.
12. Be among the first to invest in the new Libya.
Photo by apidim.