Associated Press:

The New Jersey laboratory where Thomas Edison perfected some of his most famous inventions is reopening with a wealth of restored material.

The Thomas Edison National Historical Park has undergone a six-year, $13 million overhaul.

Edison built the lab and other buildings in West Orange in 1887 and worked there until his death in 1931. He used the lab to develop and mass produce inventions such as the phonograph and movie camera.

Many artifacts that were locked away or were in disrepair have been restored and will be displayed, including a Steinway piano.

There’s also a research wing that has been returned from the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Mich., where it was moved in the 1940s.

The reopening is scheduled for Oct. 10.

Photo by scienceblogs.com.

Originally posted by Rich Whittle on September 29, 2009 in History / Inventions.

StumbleUpon


Related Posts