A recent study by the SBA found that when unemployment is high, the number of sole proprietorships goes up. Some people who are laid off from their jobs decide to start small businesses.
If you find yourself in such circumstances -- out of a job and thinking about starting a business -- chances are you won't have much money to start up with.
So Business.gov put together 10 businesses with potential for growth in 2010 that require little startup capital.
1. Consulting for your former employer or in your old industry
2. Web businesses
3. Virtual assistant
4. Online social media consulting; online content production
5. Convenience services for consumers
6. Pet businesses
7. Kids products or services
8. Mobile apps development and mobile consulting
9. Specialty foods
10. Landscaping and handyman services
Photo by frencenz.