- 1867 â€“ Work begins on the covering of the Zenne, burying Brusselsâ€™s primary river and creating the modern central boulevards.
- 1880 â€“ Thomas Edison observes the Edison effect.
- 1894 â€“ Auguste and Louis LumiÃ¨re patent the Cinematographe, a combination movie camera and projector.
- 1914 â€“ Copyright: In New York City the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers is established to protect the copyrighted musical compositions of its members.
- 1967 â€“ American researchers discover the Madrid Codices by Leonardo da Vinci in the National Library of Spain.
- 2000 â€“ The last original â€œPeanutsâ€ comic strip appears in newspapers one day after Charles M. Schulz dies.
- 2004 â€“ The Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics announces the discovery of the universeâ€™s largest known diamond, white dwarf star BPM 37093. Astronomers named this star â€œLucyâ€ after The Beatlesâ€™ song â€œLucy in the Sky with Diamondsâ€.
For more on Peanuts, read Peanuts Guide To Life.