- 1704 — The first regular newspaper in the United States, the News-Letter, is published in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1800 — The United States Library of Congress is established when President John Adams signs legislation to appropriate $5,000 USD to purchase “such books as may be necessary for the use of Congress”.
- 1885 — American sharpshooter Annie Oakley was hired by Nate Salsbury to be a part of Buffalo Bill’s Wild West.
- 1922 — The first segment of the Imperial Wireless Chain providing wireless telegraphy between Leafield in Oxfordshire, England, and Cairo, Egypt, comes into operation.
- 2005 — Snuppy, the world’s first cloned dog, is born in South Korea.