In the business world, it pays to listen and know how to ask the right questions. Miscommunication and misunderstanding can lead to problems… unhappy customers, lost sales, excess inventory, misunderstood instructions, shoddy work, and disgruntled employees … all influencing your company’s bottom line.
A good listener can build trust, empathy, and understanding by practicing and improving listening skills. The ability to listen and actually hear what is being said is becoming rare as we spend more at our computers. Good listening makes for more open communications and prevents many problems before they start.
Here are some simple tips to improve your listening skills:
1. STOP: When someone talks to you, stop and give your full consideration. Focus. When you give your undivided attention, people feel they matter.
2. USE ACTIVE LISTENING: Show you are interested by your body language, using verbal cues, and making eye contact. Make sure your listening to talking ratio is 2:1; listen twice as much as you talk.
3. ASK OPEN-ENDED QUESTIONS: Draw out information by asking open ended questions such as: “Why do you think that is?”or ” That’s interesting. Can you tell me more?” Don’t just ask yes or no questions.
4. RESTATE AND REFLECT: Reflect what the speaker is saying by restating what was just said in your own words. Ask for clarification if you are not sure. This reassures understanding for both parties.
5. PRACTICE SKILLS BEFORE PROBLEMS ARISE: The time for improving listening skills is before there are problems. By building a foundation ahead of time, communications flow more freely during times of crisis.
Photo by MSDesigns.
Business owners don’t have the time or know-how to manage their own social media campaigns, yet they know they need to. Start your own business managing social media for local businesses – we provide the website & all the training you will need. Do you enjoy Facebook & Twitter? Why not make a hefty residual […]
Commercial Capital Training
Welcome to Commercial Capital Training Group Own Your Own Finance Business By Completing Our Comprehensive Commercial Loan Broker Training Program Commercial Capital Training Group, LLC 90 State St. Suite #1500 Albany, NY 12207 Commercial Capital Training Group has developed a one-of-a-kind commercial loan broker training program that allows you to own a commercial finance company. With […]
Kona Ice is ranked the #1 New Franchise in Entrepreneur Magazine and rated the highest in Franchisee Satisfaction by TWO separate agencies! Here at Kona Ice, we don’t think it’s luck at all. It’s the combination of a fresh concept, strong corporate support with a vision, and a desire to make the world a better place. So […]