What Is a VPN and Does Your Business Need One?
Every business needs a strong and fast internet connection, but what about security and privacy? A reliable virtual private network, or VPN, can give your business online anonymity as well as protect it from hackers, snoopers, and malware. In addition, a good VPN can ensure that you’ll be able to access any website in the world, including those that restrict access based on the user’s geographical location.
If all of this is new to you, as it is to many of us, you might be wondering, what does a VPN do? Read on to find out more.
If online privacy is important for your business operations, then you’ll want to look into having a VPN. With a VPN, for instance, you can disguise your computer’s IP, or the address of your computer’s networking software. You’ll have complete privacy and be able to browse the web anonymously. Additionally, you’ll be able to evade certain online controls, including censorship, from governments, educational organizations, and other sources.
If you have a good VPN, you’ll be able to cloak your location, too, allowing your business to gain access to geo-restricted websites and apps, those sites and apps which restrict access based on the user’s location.
You’ll also be able to safely upload and download files. Additionally, if you use BitTorrent technology, you’ll be able to do so with speed and ease, even if you’re streaming a lengthy video.
One of the best features a VPN offers is complete internet safety while you’re using public Wi-Fi hotspots. These places are known to be dangerous, as savvy hackers are looking for easy victims there and, as a result, users’ sensitive data can be at risk.
What to Look for When Choosing a VPN Provider
When it comes to finding a VPN provider, you have plenty to choose from. Here are the essential things to look for when you’re choosing a VPN provider:
- You’ll find some free services out there, but remember you get what you pay for. The free services won’t always give you the anonymity and protection you need, so it’s wiser to pay the fee to ensure that you get the quality you need. Most of the paid services have budget-friendly policies anyway and are affordable for practically everyone, so don’t try to save money on your online safety.
- Make sure the provider you choose has a sufficient number of servers to allow for good speed and a high quality connection.
- Look for a provider that delivers good customer support so that you can contact their specialists at any time in case of any difficulties. You most likely won’t find good customer service with free VPN.
- Does the VPN provider offer a money-back guarantee? You might find, after using their service for a little while, that what they offer is not suitable to your needs and requirements, in which case you’ll want to get your money back.
- How many simultaneous connections does the VPN provider allow? The normal range is 2 to 6, and obviously, the more the better.
Carefully study and read reviews regarding your chosen provider as this will you help to make a good decision.