Tampa Tribune:

Guthrie’s Chicken, which entered the Tampa Bay area market in the past two years with plans for rapid expansion, has fallen victim of the distressed economy.

The first Guthrie’s in the area opened in March 2007 at 1911 E. Bearss Ave. A second followed in summer 2007 at 7521 N. 56 St. Both locations recently closed, and a sign on the Bearss Avenue site blames the economic climate. It asks customers to visit the restaurant at a Gainesville location.

The chain, which began in 1965 in Alabama, is known for its chicken fingers and often locates near colleges. The company had hoped to open as many as 75 restaurants in South Florida by 2017. The Tampa area franchisee did not return phone calls to comment.