- 1889 â€“ Columbia Phonograph is formed in Washington, D.C.
- 1947 â€“ KTLA, the first commercial television station west of the Mississippi River, begins operation in Hollywood, California.
- 1970 â€“ The Boeing 747, the world’s first “jumbo jet”, enters commercial service for launch customer Pan American Airways with its maiden voyage from John F. Kennedy International Airport to London Heathrow Airport.
- 1984 â€“ The Apple Macintosh, the first consumer computer to popularize the computer mouse and the graphical user interface, is introduced during Super Bowl XVIII with its famous “1984“ television commercial.
- 2002 â€“ Kmart becomes the largest retailer in United States history to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
Video of the famous Apple Macintosh commercial below.