Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters on Unsplash
The Amazon Fire TV Stick provides HD content from numerous channels at an affordable price. However, if your home and business are located outside the US, you won’t be able to access its full HD streaming capabilities as well as the thousands of options it allows users to choose from.
This is because contents are geo-blocked, and the only way to bypass that is by using a VPN (virtual private network). The VPN helps you to circumvent the geo-block by masking your IP address with a US IP address.
The Amazon Fire TV Stick was released onto the market in 2014, making it possible to watch your favorite movies, TV shows, music, and many more from a single device. Moreover, its setup requires only a television with an HDMI port and an Internet connection.
How to Set Up an Amazon Fire TV Stick
The Amazon Fire TV Stick consists of a power adapter, remote control, and the fire stick itself. To set it up:
- Plug your Amazon Fire TV Stick into the TV HDMI or computer monitor.
- Next, connect the power adapter to the gadget
- Depending on your system arrangement, connect to the right HDMI input on the display
- If the remote fails to pair automatically with your Amazon Fire TV Stick, follow Amazon’s instructions on how to reset the controller.
RELATED ARTICLE: HOW TO GO INTERNATIONAL WITH YOUR BUSINESS
Before you explore any other section, it’s prudent to do an update of your Amazon Fire TV Stick hardware. To do this, go to settings > then to Device > then go to Check for a system update.
Using the remote control to search and type on the screen can be tricky. Therefore, a more straightforward way is to install an Amazon Fire TV Stick App on your phone. Then navigate from there.
Why You Need a VPN to Use Amazon Fire TV Stick
A VPN helps you to stream all channels just as you would if you were located in the US. However, you should know how to install a VPN on Fire TV to conceal your activities online. This is because a VPN enables you to protect your privacy and data from unauthorized users. Also, it blocks your ISP (internet service provider) and government agencies from learning your web searches activities.
If you are using a VPN for the first time, it can be a bit of a hassle. However, the guide below provides thorough details on what to do.
How to Install a VPN on an Amazon Fire TV Stick Step by Step
Out of all VPN apps available, IPVanish comes most highly recommended. This is because of the speed, high privacy protection, and its ease of setting up. In fact, you can now find it on the official built-in app store.
However, if you are someone who likes to look for the best deal, here is a word of caution: As you look for the best VPN to install, avoid the free ones. This is because they are limited when it comes to bandwidth, data caps, and their servers.
IPVanish Installation Process
IPVanish is available on the default app store. Here is the step-by-step process:
- On the home screen go to Apps > Categories > Utility. Alternatively, go to the search bar and type “VPN.”
- From the list, select IPVanish VPN
- Click on the yellow button that appears. This will start the download
- Next, install the app
- After the VPN is installed, click the yellow button near the open to launch the IPVanish App
- Sign into IPVanish and click “login.” Keep in mind that this step can be tricky if you try to do it with the remote.
- Finally, either click the connect button immediately or select a server.
This is a similar process to use with ExpressVPN and NordVPN. This method is easy to follow if your VPN provider gives you an easy way to download Android APK file directly instead of doing so through an app store.
- Make sure you boot your Amazon Fire TV and search for Downloader
- Next, install the downloaded “Downloader App” normally with an orange logo
- Open the Downloader and place the direct URL for the VPN app’s APK file
- After the download finishes, it will prompt you to install the app. If it fails, check your downloads in the Downloader app and click the APK file.
- The app is ready to go after it installs
How to Login and Connect
Now that your app is installed on your Amazon Fire TV Stick, you only need to login and connect.
- Go to the starting Menu on your Amazon Fire TV
- Go to the settings section > Applications
- Select Manage Installed Applications
- Select the app that you pressed onto the Amazon Fire TV
- Enter your VPN logins
- Select your preferred location and click the connect button
After you have completed the entire process, allow the VPN service to remain connected until the gadget powers off. You can set the app to reconnect automatically in case the connection breaks at any point.
The Benefits of Using a VPN on Your Amazon Fire Stick
A VPN protects your privacy and keeps you connected to the massive streaming that the Amazon Fire TV Stick gives you. This is important because if you are not using an encrypted connection, you are exposing your private information to hackers.
However, you can block illegal users from accessing your information for their criminal activities by downloading a VPN that guarantees you protection.
About the Author
Shahmeer Baloch is a marketing professional-turned-tech writer who, despite having had a successful career at Evyap, made a drastic change when his interest in technology and international cyber laws took precedence. Baloch’s love for new technology is profound and well-addressed. He loves to play tennis on weekends. Follow him at https://twitter.com/iamshahmeeer