Photo by Liam Briese on Unsplash
ITIL stands for “information technology infrastructure library.” It offers a systematic way of organizing an organization’s IT structure, thereby reducing problems with your organization’s computer network.
RELATED ARTICLE: IT TEAM SUPPORT: GETTING VALUE FOR MONEY
Who Developed the ITIL Service Structure?
ITIL was created by the UK government but has since been licensed to a private company. It offers a standardized set of best practices for organizing a business’s IT structure. Both small and large companies can benefit from utilizing this set of uniform practices.
Of course, you are free to run your business in the ways that serve it best. You can use your own technical support and tailor it to your needs. However, it is always best to adopt some international best practices. After all, there is no need for your technical staff to reinvent the wheel.
Avoid the Disadvantages of Improper IT Management
With an ITIL service strategy in place, your organization’s IT engineers will manage the computers within the company’s networks in a systematic way. Moreover, such a structure will help them to better manage the organization’s telecommunications, data storage and retrieval, email systems, databases, and so on.
On the other hand, if your company’s technology is improperly managed, your organization can face serious problems.
Imagine a Monday morning when your IT team has been at work all weekend, trying to restore service to a downed network. However, when employees walk into work on Monday morning, your computer systems are still down. Therefore, no one can be productive for hours.
Some Other Examples of Improper IT Management
1. End users do not know who to contact when they have a problem with their computers and other IT devices.
2. Technicians attend end user calls in a disorganized manner.
3. Business managers are frustrated and limited in their ability to manage their teams because of frequent network disruptions.
4. Companies cannot fulfill orders for products and services for their customers.
5. End users can’t count on IT services being available on a daily basis. Therefore, they are unable to fulfill their obligations to the company and to customers.
6. Frequent virus infections hamper activities. Long shutdowns are common.
7. End users face a shortage of computers and disk space. Data corruption and data loss are rampant throughout the organization.
How ITIL Can Help Your Organization
When your IT team members earn their ITIL4 Certification, they gain a practical sense around IT management. Thereafter, they will be able to bring more order to your organization’s IT infrastructure. Moreover, this is true whether your business is small, medium, or large.
In short, an ITIL service structure will provide a high degree of stability and predictability to your IT architecture. What’s more, ITIL provides value. It gives good returns on investment for the company.
Additionally, everyone will benefit. This includes each employer, service provider, department manager, and technology manager, as well as the business owner.
Enjoy the Benefits of ITIL Certification
Following are the benefits your technicians will enjoy. In turn, these benefits will help the company as a whole.
1. ITIL is a proven and tested process. What’s more, it provides end-to-end coverage.
2. ITIL is a set of practices. Moreover, individual companies don’t need to obtain a license to implement these practices internally.
3. Use the ITIL service structure to improve the quality of your company’s IT services. Doing so will reduce downtime and improve both customer and end user satisfaction.
4. The ITIL service strategy is measurable and controllable. What’s more, its initial cost is refundable if you’re not satisfied with the results.
5. ITIL is scalable and adaptable to organizations of all sizes.
6. While the ITIL service structure is proactive, it is not overly sensitive. This is because all activities, responsibilities, and roles are clearly delineated. Therefore, there is little to no overlapping of roles.
7. With an the ITIL service structure in place, your organization will reduce IT costs. Therefore, you can then establish a business case for new or ongoing investments in IT.
8. ITIL is also useful for outsourcing. With it, you can more easily work with service providers who will support your IT department.
9. Your organization’s IT infrastructure will enjoy continuous improvement and stability within a trouble-free working environment.
10. Your company overall will enjoy improved trust and confidence from customers and clients.
There are many ITIL certification and training courses. There are also many support facilities, training institutions, tools, and consulting services. Be sure to take advantage of one or more of these opportunities so as to give your IT team every advantage.
Finally, with an ITIL service structure in place, your organization will be able to avoid network down time once and for all.