Photo by Kanchanara on Unsplash
Before you consider investing in bitcoin, you need to look into whether bitcoin as an investment is better for a short term or for the long term. Let’s look into this question.
RELATED ARTICLE: WHY OWNING STOCK IS IMPORTANT FOR BUSINESS OWNERS
Is Bitcoin a Good Investment?
Cryptocurrency is virtual money. It is decentralized, which means it is not managed or controlled by any central agencies. It is based on blockchain technology.
Many cryptocurrency experts believe that bitcoin is the best cryptocurrency to invest in. This is because it was the first cryptocurrency. For that reason it is many people’s most first choice.
While you can use bitcoin to make purchases, knowing what you are getting into before you invest in bitcoin is essential. Before we answer the question of whether bitcoin is better as a short-term or a long-term investment, let’s look at the facts.
What Is Long-Term Investing in Bitcoin?
Long-term investing means you hold on to a certain asset for a period longer than a year. Usually, long-term investors are passive investors, which means they are not trading actively. They do not buy or sell within a short period. Moreover, they choose to invest in products that have value in the long run. Overall, this is a type of investment where you buy and forget.
What Is Short-Term Investing in Bitcoin?
Short-term investing is when an investor holds the asset for less than a year. It is an investment option for active traders and investors, because there is a lot of buying and selling.
Short-term investors typically trade several times a week or even many times a day. Investors who look for short-term investments try to make a quick buck. They do not plan on holding the assets they invest in. Basically, they are trying out-smart the market.
Since there are many risks involved in this option, most short-term investors also have portfolios with long-term assets to balance out their goals.
What Are the Benefits of Short-Term Investments in Bitcoin?
There are several benefits to investing in bitcoin for the short term, including:
- There is greater flexibility for investors as they get money in hand when they need it.
- An investor can make great profits in a shorter span of time and meet their financial requirements.
- An investor can minimize their losses, as most short-term traders operate with stop loss orders.
What Are the Benefits of Investing in Bitcoin for the Long Term?
Here is what you can expect from investing in bitcoin for the long term:
- Long-term investing creates a path for financial independence while helping beat inflation over time.
- Bitcoin is seeing great traction as there is wider adoption by investors and big companies, so there will be an increase in its value.
- As more real-time applications are built, the demand and value will increase, so it is a store of value in the long run.
- Long-term bitcoin investment gives you more control over your portfolio, better access to investment, and lower fees.
- Invest in a small way so that you can build your personal wealth over a period of time and make use of it for your future goals.
Is It Legal to Invest in Bitcoin in India?
Is bitcoin legal in India? If you are a citizen or resident of India you may be wondering about this question.
In short, India does not ban the buying and selling of bitcoin on platforms like CoinSwitch.
RELATED ARTICLE: A GUIDE TO INVESTING IN YOUR BUSINESS
The Bottom Line: Will You Be a Short-Term or a Long-Term Investor?
Bitcoin’s profit expectations are based on the prediction that the prices will increase and there will be no harsh regulations. But bitcoin is volatile and you will need to hold your investments for a period of time. Typically, investors who look for long-term profits have held onto it for several years.
So if you are optimistic about blockchain-based technology, investing in bitcoin for the long term is a good option. However, bear in mind numerous risks such as scams and hacking. So before venturing into this space, understand the risks involved.
RELATED ARTICLE: 4 MAIN CRYPTO MARKET TRENDS YOU NEED TO KNOW