Pizza is the most popular delivery meal in the United States, but one of the first restaurants in the country to serve it actually did so to avoid having to take food to peopleâ€™s homes.
Italian immigrant Frank Pepe, born in 1893, moved to New Haven, Conn., as a teenager and after the First World War got a job working at the Sargent lock factory.
• Year founded: 1925
• Founder: Frank Pepe
• Known for: white clam pizza
• Best-selling item: sausage and pepperoni pizza
• Current owners: Frank Pepeâ€™s seven grandchildren â€” Gary Bimonte, Genevieve Bimonte, Lisa Cusano, Bernadette Hackett, Jennifer Kelly, Anthony Rosselli and Francis Rosselli
• Annual sales: not disclosed
• Website: www.pepespizzeria.com
â€œHe didnâ€™t care for it,â€ said Francis Rosselli, one of Pepeâ€™s seven grandchildren, all of whom are currently active in the restaurant companyâ€™s operation. Read more.