Piper Jaffray recently released its semi-annual Taking Stock With Teens survey results, highlighting spending trends among 6,200 teens in fashion, beauty and personal care, digital media, food, gaming and entertainment.
So, what did the survey reveal?
- Athletic-leisure, preppy, leggings and jogging pants are among the top teen fashion trends
- Most preferred brands include Ralph Lauren, Nike, Lululemon, Victoria’s Secret, Vineyard Vines, UGG Australia and Timberland
- Michael Kors remains the No. 1 preferred handbag brand,
- MAC is the top preferred cosmetic brand among teen females across all income sets for the first time in the survey’s history
- Teens who spend above-average on beauty prefer customer reviews over product selection as a top factor in online purchasing decisions
- 36% anticipate playing more video games in 2015 — the highest intention to play more games in the survey in at least four years
Spending Mix By Category:
Food accounts for 23% of teens spending, followed by clothing (20%), accessories/personal care/cosmetics (10%), video games/systems (8%), car (8%), electronic/gadgets (8%), shoes (7%), music/movies (6%), concerts/movies/sporting events (6%), books/magazines (2%), furniture (1%) and other (4%).
Restaurant Brand Preferences:
Panera Bread: 4.1%
Olive Garden: 3.5%